As always I'm posting, here on Newgrounds, news and other whats-its about what I'm up to. Don't forget to check in every two weeks for more scandalous updates.
Sadly things have been pretty slow this week for a number of reasons. I seem to have came down with a case of something... probably not that! Most likely not that, but It's got me quite down lately I'm feeling better but it really put a damper on me for a week. I don't much go anywhere these days so it probably ain't that. That said, me and the family can't wait to get vaccinated.
But on to Project Honey. When I started the project always wanted to stay small. But I wanted it to be a game that one could play for like hours, I wanted it to be a full game. My overall design facilitated this, I would reuse alot to make a formidable but short game.
As I work on this game I keep saying I can do more, and I want to do more but I also don't want to be working on this game for more than a few months. The only way I can really do that is by making cuts. I want to keep this a simple and lean project for me. I want to keep in the scope of a one man project. I realized I was getting a bit in over my head while trying to come up with enemy designs. No so much coming up with designs. That's the easy part really the hard part comes in with the fact that I want each enemy to serve a unique purpose and to interact with each ohe in unique and novel ways. Now, what I could do instead is not do any of that at all.
You see what I currently want is another insect design. To make things simple, what I could do is just make a wasp girl, change her colors a bit, change up her behavior a tiny bit,
Bing Bang Boom, DONE....!
No, that's the last thing I want to do, I want her to be visually and functionally unique, and let me tell you gals... that's tough. Not impossible, not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that it will take a lot of time and energy on my part to do it. None of this is to say I don't have any ideas for her, or other enemies, I got plenty. The issue is that again I want them all to not only be unique but also function in tandem with each other.
So it's like I might be like ok so I want to give this one a certain type of dress but this one is already wearing that type of dress. OK, well which one does it work best on? what if I change this? Which one do I change now that this one looks too much like that one over there?!
But again not complaining, merely illustrating for you all the trouble I currently face. As a result I realized that I would face this kind of back and forth with other aspects of the game down the road with level design, story and other bits and bobs with my current scope.
Not impossible for me, it's just it would all take far more time than I want to take for this project, and more than I think is fair to take on this project, for me, the developer and for you, the audience.
As a result of this line of thinking, I am going to scale back quite a bit. I can always make a bigger game in the future if this game is a success or even worth playing. Right now, for me the motto is Quality over Quantity.
My hope is with this shrunken scope the project will come together much more smoothly and quickly. When the game is done and out I'll have alot to talk about when it comes to my initial goals for this game, maybe in the next game, but not this game.
I didn't want to leave you guys empty handed this week so I wanted to share one of the new designs I came up with, she's still very much in the early stages of development but I like where she is going... let me know what you think.
With that's all I have for you this week,
see ya'll again soon.